San Elijo State Beach Campground
Popular Site Along Premier Stretch of California Coast
San Elijo State Beach Campground is located in the northern portion of San Diego County next to Cardiff by the Sea. The 171 camp sites are strung along a ¾ miles stretch of shoreline that is squeezed between a highway, railroad tracks, and sandy beach The site receives over ½ a million visitors annually. The sites are for tents or RVs up to 35 feet long. There are picnic tables, charcoal grilles, and water at each site. The restrooms have flush toilets and showers. There is a dump station and hookups for RVs. There is a small store on site. Rangers conduct lectures about the local habitats and marine life at a mini amphitheater and campfire center.
Several of the campsites are handicap accessible. There is a public parking lot at the north end for day use patrons. The site is popular with surfers. Trails lead down to the beach. San Elijo Lagoon is close by. It is a renowned nature preserve where egrets, herons, and other marine birds nest and feed.
Reservations for campsites are taken up to 7 months in advance. Call 800-444-7275 well in advance of a planned stay as the sites are in high demand particularly in summer months. The campground can be reached from the Cardiff exit of I-5. Then head north on Pacific Coast Highway to the campground.
Particulars for San Elijo State Beach Campground
- Quiet hours are 10 p.m. – 6 am. Visitors not staying overnight must be out by 10 p.m
- Generator hours are from 10am-8pm.
- Campsite is limited to 8 people maximum and is designed for individual family use. Large groups require a special event permit.
- Take precautions to prevent theft by securing property, such as surfboards, bikes and ice chests.
- RV hookup sites are limited to 2 vehicles, and all wheels must stay on pavement. Standard sites allow 3 vehicles. There is no parking for more vehicles. A trailer is counted as a vehicle. Park out of roadway behind site number, to allow emergency vehicle access.
- Animals must be on a leash less than 6 feet at all times and may not be left outside at night and are prohibited on the beach.
- Alcohol and glass containers are NOT allowed on the beach or beyond your campsite.
- All park plants are protected. Do not cut or attach items, such as ropes, to any plants.
- Mid-September to mid-October, adjacent Cardiff State Beach hosts two large annual surfing contests. Contact the campground for dates.
- Maximum stay during High Season (March – November) is 7 nights. All persons and equipment must vacate for a minimum of 48 hours before beginning another stay.
- Park Road separates Oceanfront (premium) sites from Inland sites. Ocean sites are on a bluff overlooking beach. Stairs to beach. Sites have no shade.
- Park Kiosk Hours: Hi season 7 am – 10 pm. Lo season 7 am – 8 pm.
- · Reservations Year Round.
Choose A Topic Below
How much is your
Looking for a home? Talk to an Area Expert...
This message is only visible to admins.
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error