San Diego Jazz Fest
Discerning jazz fans call the San Diego Jazz Festival “the crown jewel of jazz festivals.” The event is held during the Thanksgiving weekend at the Town & Country Resort and Convention Center, in San Diego. The SD Jazz Fest is a favorite of festival-goers from around the globe. All venues are conveniently located in the Town & Country Convention Center. There are large concert rooms with double dance floors and small, intimate “listening” rooms. All are non-smoking. The Festival bands represent a wide variety of traditional jazz, dixieland, ragtime, swing, and rockabilly styles. The Festival offers something for every taste in classic jazz.
Festival presentations include great variety, including trad, swing, boogie-woogie, ragtime, dixieland, gospel, rockabilly, and more. Here’s what you can expect at the festival:
- Blues, swing and jump music performed by San Diego’s own Sue Palmer and her Motel Swing Orchestra, with vocalist Deejah Marie
- High Society (San Diego) plus the Dave Bennett Quartet (Detroit) to open the festival Wednesday evening
- Wonderful Ragtime featuring San Diego’s Heliotrope Ragtime Orchestra together with vintage dancers in costume
- A great Swing Extravaganza with two amazing swing bands: Graystone Monarchs and Red Skunk plus the Sweathearts of Swing.
- The Euphoria Brass Band of San Diego, fun New Orleans Street Music
- “JazzSea Jams” led by cornetist Dick Williams offers an opportunity for musically-inclined festival patrons to jam with an organized band
- The Memphis Boys with Dave Beenett featured on piano and vocals performing Rockabilly classics by Jerry Lee Lews, Elvis, and others.
- Guest artist Katie Cavera (banjo, guitar, bass and vocals)
- Guest artist Jim Buchmann featured in three Clarinet Summits.
- The Mission Bay High School Preservationists – talented young musicians who put on a terrific show
- A pianorama, featuring a variety of stylists from across the U.S. and Canada: Stephanie Trick, Carl Sonny Leland, Paolo Alderighi and more
- Dance demos by the Swing FX Dance Team plus dance classes by Georgia and Hal Myers
- Sunday morning Gospel music with the Night Blooming Jazzmen of Claremont
Daily Ticket Prices:
- Wednesday – $15
- Thursday – $20
- Friday – $45
- Saturday – $45
- Sunday – $25
- After 6:00 PM on Friday or Saturday – $25
Multi-day Ticket Prices:
- Wednesday-Sunday – $105
- Thursday-Sunday – $100
- Friday-Sunday – $95
- Under 30 tickets at the door (Check our website)
- 12 and under free if accompanied by an adult
- Active Duty Military free with proper ID
Help keep the music alive! Each year AFCDJS appeals to jazz lovers everywhere to help “support the music.” Corporate sponsors, individual musician/band and guest artist sponsors, education donors, and each jazz fan that attends a festival, monthly concert, or local jazz event help to support live music and to preserve this original American art form—traditional jazz. Donations and grants directed to the Youth & Education Program fund enable AFCDJS to assist and encourage young musicians to advance their Traditional Jazz skills, support music education in local high schools, and provide live Traditional Jazz concerts to schools and to the San Diego Community. There are many ways you can support AFCDJS, the most common being donations of cash and securities, but your support could also be to include AFCDJS in your will and bequest, or by becoming a project volunteer to help manage our Education programs for example. Contact us at [email protected] with your ideas to “…help keep the music alive.”