South Mission Beach Facts and Information
South Mission Beach is located in San Diego and known for its beach volleyball scene. Locals and tourists alike flock to this large beach for spending time with family and friends in the sun and salty air. Though this beach can get busy, it is not nearly as crowded as beaches in Northern California. You will see that this area has a large boardwalk that unlike other boardwalks is not inhabited by chain restaurants or kitschy shops.
You may not understand how large this beach is or everything it has to offer. Once you learn more about South Mission Beach, you’ll want to make it your next stop when you’re in San Diego.
Facts About South Mission Beach
- South Mission Beach is part of The Strand, a ‘strand’ of beaches along the Pacific Ocean. The Stand is about 3 1/2 miles long and includes other beaches such as Pacific Beach and North Pacific Beach.
- The beaches on The Strand are all known as Extra Wide Beaches, offering a lot of depth between the shoreline and seawall.
- There are many sports played at South Mission Beach, the most popular being volleyball. You will regularly find men’s, women’s and co-ed games going on.
- Two other sports played on South Mission Beach are basketball (in designated areas where there’s a hoop) and Over The Line, which is a game played on the beach that’s similar to baseball.
- At San Diego Place, you’ll find public bathrooms that are part of South Mission Beach.
- As you reach the end of South Mission Beach, you’ll find a picnic area with plenty of grass for sitting and enjoying a meal.
- At the front of said park, you will find the South Mission Beach Lifeguard Station. Go a little further and you’ll spot the jetty, which is extremely popular with surfers in the area.
FAQs About South Mission Beach
Q: Can I have alcohol on South Mission Beach?
A: Absolutely no alcohol is permitted on the beach.
Q: Can I have an open fire on the beach?
A: Fire containers are provided by the beach during the summer months only. These fire containers are available on a first come, first serve basis and all fires must be put out before beach goers leave the area. Open fires are not permitted. You are prohibited from burning rubbish and only paper, wood and charcoal can be used as burning materials.
Q: Can I surf anywhere on the beach?
A: South Mission Beach has designated areas for swimmers and surfers. These areas are separate.
Q: What is parking like at South Mission Beach?
A: Free parking is available at the furthest South end of the beach.